Thursday, October 17, 2013

Happiness Is A Warm Fun

 
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." - Mahatma Gandhi

This is my journey to harmony. It may be treacherous, dangerous, and filled with perils, but the Thesaurus Rex will never tame me!!

I think it's peculiar that Thomas Jefferson coined the phrase "the pursuit of happiness." He could have stuck to the John Locke narrative of "Life, liberty, and ownership of property" and the Declaration of Independence still would have been the Hamlet of treason notifications. Did he realize that possession of property did not inherently bring joy? Did he have the foresight that all peoples of all lands could not own land? if they did there would be no room for many would always want more. Or did he write it to b*%#@slap King George to reinforce that they were not playing by their rules?



I suppose the ultimate question I ask myself now is "Am I happy?" If I answer honestly I would say "sometimes." My life is not bad by any means. I live in a big comfy house with three beautiful women (granted they have all had their menzies), I have wonderful friends and family (even though all my best friends have all found their soul mates and have no longer have time to hang), and I do not have a job (which stinks monetarily but does allow me to unlimited free time to pursue my interests).

I have an array of interests, but do any of them truly make me happy? Again I would say "sometimes." My interests include but are not limited to: reading novels, listening to scriptures, drawing, writing short stories, practicing the keyboard, trying to sing like Freddie Mercury, bike riding, listening to music, and watching more television than any family of 6 should ever consume in their lifetimes.

What I have come to realize is that all of my interests are more like self-interests. None of them have really help me grow as a person or benefited anyone but my "cool" image. Have I grown selfish or have I always been this way? In college I studied the change of the world around me. I read and wrote reports of great men and women who did great things and changed the world for the better (most of the time). I discussed with my peers the great things we could accomplish once we were no longer confined to this institution (of education). But it has almost been 3 years and I've held one decent job for 9 months. Never in my life have I felt like such a burden to my family. Never in my life have I been more disheartened.

If I have all this ability and desire than what am I waiting for? A god? A girl? A good pair of slacks? (They are all very difficult to find whenever you have a be-donk.) All I know is I am tired of life passing me by. I shall change my selfish ways and help my fellow man. I want to get a job, something with meaning and purpose (or the very least a salary). I need to stop half-assing everything I do. And I should lose some weight because I don't want to buy new clothes (again). 

Time to harmonize.

No comments:

Post a Comment